Friday, October 25, 2013

Baby Love

baby me
I love newborn babies
I love their smell and
Soft skin, the
Crown of their head,
Little arms and legs,
And tiny hands that clasp

It is wonderful for short bursts
But a lifetime?
No thank you!
I have known since I was sixteen
That I do not want children.

The birth of my
My half-sister
A few months after my 18th birthday
Was a momentous day
I became “big big sister”
And regular babysitter
Phoebe-Lulu days were the highlight of my week
Days filled with picnics and painting
Library visits
Ferry rides to the city
Museums
A fantastic excuse to the see
The Wiggles live in concert
(We saw Sam Moran – the new yellow wiggle – in his debut appearance
And laughed when he drove onto the stage in the big red car
With L plates)

And with a succession of new cousins
(10 new babies between 1999 and 2008)
I became babysitter extraordinaire
With nappy-changing, bottle feeding, and
Happy occupying of small children
All added to my already impressive CV

My little little sister’s birth
Along with the birth days of all my new family members
Were happy, joyous days
And also the best contraception ever invented

I realized what a full-time job
Looking after a baby, and growing family, were.
Lovely yes, but
Exhausting
Draining
And trying

People say
“But you’re so maternal! It’s such a waste!”
I’m also an actor
Musician
Office administrator
Educator
Writer
Is it a waste to not pursue avenues
Other than motherhood?

“But we live in the modern age!
You can have it all!”
When we have affordable childcare
Equal wages
Paid parental leave
And a system and society that supports parents
Instead of bleeding them dry
Perhaps then we can have a conversation
About the genuine possibility of universal
Career + parenthood = satisfaction

“What about your parents?
You’re denying them grandchildren!”
I thought we lived in the modern age where independent young people didn’t have to live out their lives for their parents?
“It’s so selfish!
So is having more and more children to consume the limited resources of the planet.

“You’re young.”
“You’ll change your mind.”
“Your clock will start ticking.”
“You’re in denial.”
“You’ll regret it.”
Inspired by Tamar Anitai, I will now respond to these statements with
“Are you a fortune teller, how much do you charge?!”

I’m not asking people to stop having babies.
Like Elizabeth Gilbert in championing auntyhood
I have faith that the human race
Will continue to do as it has always done
And make babies
Ad infinitum, and

I will be there to
Cheer and coo the newest members of humanity
And whole-heartedly support my
Sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends
In becoming parents

If being a mother/father/parent
Is what you desire
All the power to you!
Go right ahead!
I’ll be available for babysitting
And playing aunt

I will petition for
Paid parental leave
And advocate affordable accessible childcare
I will be curious about birth
And developments in childhood psychology
I will keep an eye on the education sector and
Fight against the destruction of the arts in schools
I will even 'like' your ultrasounds, baby pictures, and hilarious
They did WHAT?! stories on facebook.
Not because I have a desire to one day be a mother
But because I am a person
Interested in the society in which I live
And hopeful of a world where every human being
Mother, father, child
Can flourish

But I will join Tamar Anitai in
Defending our right
To choose not to procreate
Twenty-nine year old me
Remains as clear in my choice
As sixteen year old me
Of not desiring a child of my own
It does not make me barren
Or a spinster
Or an angry adult shunning the joyful world of parenthood
It's just makes me another piece
In the complex puzzle
That is humanity

All I ask is that you
Please respect my choice
To follow a different path
That doesn’t include bearing babies  

Thank you, and

The end. 

3 comments:

  1. Good for you Luisa, you are a beautiful person inside and out ! People should have the choice to do what makes them happy in their life, whether that means to have or not to have children, as long as it's what yóu want. I feel the same way, I think children are wonderful, but I don't want any of my own. I think it would be good if there would be a system of childcare thats afforable and it's possible for anyone to combine career and children, but for me that wouldn't change my choice. Good for you that you stand up for yourself too ! René (Cambridge theatre)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you Lu :)

    ReplyDelete