Wednesday, July 17, 2013

And the Music Plays

by Woolley World

Year 5 or year 6
At school we learnt to play the recorder 
I loved learning an instrument
Loved learning to read music
Teaching myself out of a book
The logic of it making sense
The order of dots and lines
A kind of reading that translated into something heard
I wanted to play a “proper” instrument
Aware that the other kids had lessons
And instruments 

Later, year 8. 
Our music teacher took us into a room
Filled with instruments
Choose one 
She said 
I wasn’t drawn to percussion
Or strings 
(My sister had played violin
Popcorn and candy
The learnt sounds of experts
Betraying the difficulty of starting out) 

I could make a noise 
On all the wind instruments
I was worried about the reed instruments
They would require ongoing purchases 
You needed to prepare the reed so it didn’t crack
I felt it was a level of difficulty beyond me
But really
I chose the flute
Because it was the lightest instrument
Back then
I commuted to school
By bus and train
And was worried about schleping my instrument to school
Or being able to practise at home 
I hired the flute for six months 
Or a year
The way time and space merge
Become blurred in memory 
Then I moved schools
And my friend who also played the flute
Recommended her teacher 

And suddenly 
Some fourteen or fifteen years later 
I’m standing with three other flautists
And we’re playing a quartet 
Written by one of the players
And it feels strange 
And lovely
To be part of this
Shared knowledge
Understanding how the dots on the page
Correlate to the placement of fingertips 
To create synchronized sound
Started in another lifetime 

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment