Sunday, December 1, 2013

Getting Married (Part 1)

A sample of the paperwork. Sorry trees. 
In November 2012
Over the slight crackle of
Another late night skype
We decided that if this long distance
Romance
Was going to continue
We needed to be together
On the same continent
And to do that, we needed to get married

In January
The air was cold
The trees were bare
We were warm and happy
In the cabin in the woods
And submitted our forms
For a K1 visa - the fiance visa
So we could be together.

I returned to London
With hope in my heart
My lease was due to finish in March
And we (rather optimistically) hoped it would be done and dusted by then
Save moving twice

The end of January rolled by
And then all of February
My lease expired
I moved to Ruislip in the middle of a snow storm

Every day I skyped my love
We sent emails and messages
Across the Atlantic
I love you
Today is the day!

I went to work
And ate and slept
And everyday checked the status of our application
And we heard
Precisely nothing

By April
I was feeling angsty
And angry and depressed
I was underpaid and
Under-appreciated at work
The Camino called
I quit my job
And left

On the 1st of May
My blue backpack and I
Went for a long walk
Started in France
Up and over the glorious Pyrenees
And into Spain

A month of walking
Waking, walking
"Pacing in a straight line"
Eating and sleeping
And talking to my love
And asking the universe
Please, please, please
Let TODAY be the day we hear something!

At the end of the walk
Still nothing
Not a word

I went back to England
Miserable, frustrated
Sick and tired
Anemic from a month in a country that actively despises vegetarians
Chilled by the coldest Spanish May in fifty years.

I needed a visa for camp
And went to the Consulate
Armed with paperwork
To show I would return to the UK
Even though I didn't want to.
The officer asked
Precisely nothing.
Three days later
I was on a jetplane
Headed for my love

Two months of summer
Bliss
Green leaves shimmering on the trees
Blue sky.
In the middle of rehearsal
We got the letter! It's been approved!
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry
The kids all cheered
The rehearsal had to continue

August. Now we'll know.
They've approved it.
Not long to go now.
A month at most.
Re-send all the documentation, and myself, to London.

September.
Not a word from the Consulate
Or the processing centre

Tiny nuggets of information
Discovered by combing forums
Stumbling across websites
More fees
More forms
The process has now been digitized.
Re-submit all the documentation, line by line
Online

The help line cannot help
Please register online
I submit my information to yet another website
My case now has 6 reference numbers
I still cannot speak to a human
The automated email responds
Please check the website
The homepage leads to a FAQ page
The FAQ page leads to a status page
The status page leads back to the homepage
I still have no information
All of September passes by
Then all of October
The leaves begin to change colour
And finally drop
We switch the heating on.

I'm living in comfort
I can work while I wait
I'm not fleeing war
Or famine
Or dire circumstances
Life is fine

But I want to be with my love
And the wait
Is awful.

Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

2 comments:

  1. A big congratulations Lu. I'm so glad you are with your love :)

    I hope you are getting some good vegetarian food into you as well xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Emma! Plenty of delicious foodables in Colorado! :)

      Delete