Thursday, April 21, 2011

Music


http://www.josephinewall.co.uk/flute.html

Oh the joy of music
To play to sing to listen to watch
To play a freshly serviced flute
It’s like playing a new instrument
It’s fun to hit the high notes and not have to push as hard
It’s so satisfying to play and be so immersed in the music and suddenly a whole hour has passed
Sometimes the notes elude you and jump about the page and make no sense
Other times it’s like, well, music 
And black notes and lines become melodies 
And gloriousness
To connect with Bach
Who lived over two hundred years ago 
Whole lifetimes and continents away
And yet here I am
This girl in Sydney, Australia playing Bach! Playing Chaminade and French Romance melodies and twentieth century abstractions and studies and scales
How incredible that I should be here
In this time and space
Playing music written hundreds of years ago!
Sharing music with children
Spreading musical love across generations
My grandmother and my mother gave it to me 
Remember sitting in the lounge room watching The Pajama Game with Abuela and she knew all the words. She sat there singing,
I’m not at all in love!
And you looked at her in wonder! She knows all the words!!! 
And now I pass it on to children through teaching
Kids this is music and it is the best thing since sliced bread
Sharing knowledge of melodies and dynamics and inspiring people to dance and sing and act
Today I found myself telling fifty children that performing is the best thing ever
And I meant it
How exciting how thrilling how joyous
The exhausting heartbreaking wonderful thrill of it
Music! As Jonathan Larson wrote:  “food of love, emotion, mathematics, isolation, rhythm, feeling, power, harmony, and heavy competition!!!!”
I’ve done my practise for the day
The girl next door is playing her violin
Houses apart, worlds apart, connected by music

sand art mandala from Lanzarote

No comments:

Post a Comment