Sunday, December 15, 2013

Getting Married (Part 4)


Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

I love a good wedding
All my friends will tell you
I’m the first to cry at them
Be there to sing and dance and by merry
And celebrate the legal uniting of 
Two souls

I’ve been to weddings in gardens
On farms 
In churches
I’ve had the privilege of speaking at weddings
And singing in the ceremony
I love watching friends and family
Declare love
To their loved ones 

And for my own wedding
I wanted exactly no part of the circus
I’ve been engaged once before
We started preparing a wedding
Picked a date, went dress shopping, drafted lists, looked at venues
Learnt that the minute you mentioned
“Wedding” instead of “party”
The prices instantly doubled 

I discovered that 
Every. Person. In. The. World.
Has. An. Opinion.
And if you don’t listen to, and follow through, with their 
Sage advice
You will be DOOMED
Or offend, insult, or have yourself struck from the family tree. 

Instead of perusing wedding magazines
And blogs
Or attending fairs and conventions
Or sitting with girlfriends and sisters over coffee
Discussing details
I read about the history of weddings
Trying to understand 
What bought us to this level of crazy

I discovered that, in its earliest days,
The Christian church abhorred marriage
And declared celibacy was the only way to spiritual truth 
That marriages throughout history
Have been about the economic empowerment of men
And a means of controlling women
Their bodies
And reproduction
Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert
Was the most readable 

The traditions didn’t speak to me 
The white dress, the rings, the vows,
Bows on chairs. 
I hate, with a strange passion, chairs covered with white fabric and bows. 

I just wanted to marry my love
And live happily ever after the end. 
I begged my first fiance to elope 
Save the trouble and expense and drama
Instead we broke up. 

Nearly three years later
I nervously told Aaron
I didn’t actually want a wedding
He was thrilled. 

And so after a very long wait
And most of the year apart
We finally became husband and wife.
We got married on a Monday 
Because it was the first day we could
After applying for the marriage license. 
I wore a dress 
I’ve worn a hundred times 
And will hopefully wear a hundred times more 
Aaron wore a collared shirt 
We both wore smiles. 

We drove to the town hall in Aaron’s car
We walked inside the building
And because we live in Colorado
We did not require witnesses
We did not require a ceremony
Just the intention to be legally bound
We signed our names
Sealed it with a kiss, and, 
We were married.

We called our families
Wrote to our friends
And shared a dinner that we cooked together
It was quiet and lovely
And outside, the snow was glistening. 

The end. 

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 

2 comments:

  1. BOY oh boy do I love you - so proud and happy for you both. xxxx Flea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Flea!!! Lots of love your way!!! xxxxx

      Delete