Sunday, December 15, 2013

Getting Married (Part 3)

An artistic representation of what I looked like. From here.
Part 1  Part 2 

Forty dollars,
And another form where I fill out
Every address that I have lived at
Since I was 16,
And twenty-four hours later
I receive an email to say my police background check
Is clear
And the certificate is on its way.

A week later it arrives
I book the courier
To collect my passport
Police certificate
And prayers for a speedy return

The courier collects the parcel
See you in 4-5 weeks
He says.
No.
I say.
I want to see you walking in that door with my passport and visa by the end of the week. Got it? 
He laughs. 
He doesn't get it. 

It takes the Embassy three days to process receipt of my passport.
Then nothing changes for almost three weeks.
My status reads "Ready"
It has been "Ready" since before the interview.
I lose my voice
Develop a horrible cough
I want to stay in bed and never get out.
I must be miserable to be around
I don't care.
Get me out of this limbo. I'm done. I've been waiting for 10 months.
I feel pathetic. Ten months is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I take my first sick day since arriving in London.
I cannot face work or people or getting out of my pajamas.
Every time I've skyped Aaron in the last few days I cry. Sob uncontrollably.
I'm sick of my love being trapped behind a screen.
At 5pm the status changes.
"Administrative processing"
The stories on visa journey* are frightening.
Some people have gotten to this part of the process
And waited another year.
I feel utterly hopeless.

Another week rolls by.
Everyone is being optimistic and supportive
The system doesn't care. I am nothing. I am not human.
I am six numbers and an alien.
"Approved".
Wait, what?!
We check the website repetitively to make sure it hasn't changed.

Two days later I receive a tracking number from the courier.
My passport is on its way.
I'm headed to my love.

And after 10 months, and three weeks...
I'm on the plane! I'm on the plane! I'M ON THE PLANE! 
In ten hours I'll be with my love! 
The head of the cabin crew announces that we'll soon be landing in Denver
It is minus 10 degrees celcius outside
Every passenger does a double take

We are the only plane landing at this time
The customs queue is short
I have read that I may be taken to a separate room for my customs interview
I am called
The officer doesn't make eye contact
I hand over my passport
And a thick sealed envelope from the embassy
Containing all my documents
X-rays, police certificates, birth certificates
And every address I have lived at since I was 16. 

Right thumb on the screen please Miss Lyons. 
(Right thumb on the screen). 
When did you last leave the United States Miss Lyons? 
I left at the end of August...
Silence. 
I was here on a J1. For camp.
I know
I laugh a little. He has still not made eye contact. 
Four fingers of your right hand please Miss Lyons. 
(Four fingers of my right hand on the screen). 
You know you have 90 days to marry.
Yep! 
He doesn't look up. He stamps my passport, places the envelope in a pile. 
Congratulations. Thank you Miss Lyons. NEXT. 

The world is covered in snow
And I'm with my love
Everything is going to be WONDERFUL! 

*VisaJourney is an immensely useful, and free, website about the American immigration process. 

2 comments:

  1. i feel with u lu having gone through an arduous process myself to stay in Norway...can u believe Im STILL not a permanent resident married and two children later?! i'm so happy for you! love Candice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Immigration is INSANE!!! Sending lots of love to you Candice! xx

      Delete