Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Eve (2013)



The year started twirling a “glow sword”
Because in the land of the free and the brave
It’s easier to buy a gun than a sparkler 
We applied for a fiance visa. 
I flew back to London.

In February, I started house hunting,
Visited Brighton
And saw A Chorus Line at the Palladium
I watched women in black t-shirts and bright red lipstick
Rise and dance outside Parliament House. 
We had a bake sale at the theatre.
I wandered the streets of London 
Trying to feel at home. 

In March, I saw Liza Minnelli at Royal Festival Hall.
In the midst of a snow storm
I moved to Ruislip. 
Saw my friend’s play 
Nights of Enchantment,
And over noodles, had a long and delightful conversation
With an old friend. 
One bright chilly morning
I walked from Covent Garden to the Thames to Islington. 

In April, I did quite the unthinkable
And quit my job ushering
At a west end theatre
And prepared to walk 780km across 
Northern rural Spain 
I saw the Lichtenstein retrospective at the Tate Modern
On the 30th April I caught the Eurostar
From London to Paris
And spent the day on trains heading 
South across France to the Pyrenees

On the first day of May
I walked up and down the Pyrenees 
Crossed into Navarra 
And spent the next 31 days
Walking the width of Spain 
Until I reached Santiago de Compostela 

In June, I saw War Horse at the New London.
I flew over the Atlantic
To spend the summer with my love
We went to a wedding
And a Wesslmann pop art exhibit in Richmond 
Drove through Washington DC, Jersey, New York, and Connecticut
And arrived 
Home 
At summer camp 

We staged 2 full-scale musicals 
In 8 weeks 
I taught singing and voice
And melted in the heat
Watched Yo Yo Ma and the Boston Symphony Orchestra
At Tanglewood 
And walked a rainbow chalk labyrinth
Smudged and glowing from rain 

In August
I saw Matilda, Once, and Peter and the Starcatcher in NYC
And wandered the streets of Manhattan praying for a miracle. 
I unwillingly flew back to London
And moved to the south east. 
I worked as a temp
At an international commercial property research company
Two finance firms
Two publishing houses
And spent my days behind reception desks around London
Writing and researching my play.
I saw Blue Stockings at The Globe.  

In September, I quietly turned 29
In one of the offices of London
And in the evening saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at the 
Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, with my big brother
I saw Grounded at The Gate Theatre
And did a workshop on writing solo material 
I traveled to Bath to audition for a play 
I saw Once with my Australian singing teacher 
And remembered why I was doing what I was doing. 
I saw A Doll’s House at The Duke of York
And had to talk myself into staying for the second act. 
I went blackberry picking in Southminster 
And made a blackberry pie. 

In October, I had my interview with the US Consulate 
And was rejected
I waited for a piece of paper
Declaring my lack of criminal record
To be sent from Australia to the UK
Via snail mail
I waited for my file to be lifted from the hundreds of other files
In someone’s office
I saw Trevor Ashley perform
Liza on an E 
And Malala Yousafzai speak at Queen Elizabeth Hall
I went to the London Dungeon and SeaLife Aquarium with my first London friend 
I saw The Light Princess at the National Theatre
And a debate between the founder of No More Page 3 
And three playboy bunnies 
In Carnaby St. 
I went to Brighton with Mum and
Rode the carousel on the pier.
The next day I was the sickest I have been since moving to London
Ten months of waiting catching up with my stomach. 

In November, I saw Matilda at the Cambridge
One last time 
Walked along the Thames  
Saw the Christmas lights in Oxford St and 
Bid farewell to London.  
I flew across the Atlantic 
To be with my love
And, finally, 
We were married. 

In December 
I worked on my play
Went to my first American audition
And was cast in my first Shakespeare  
I discovered I could run in below freezing temperatures
Volunteered in a second-hand bookshop
Learnt to play the ukulele
Went to a Warhol exhibit
And wandered through Old Town admiring the fairy lights.

We started our happily ever after

The end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment