Monday, March 17, 2014

It Will Not Break. It Broke.

By Mike Flynn and Shikha Dalmia
From here. Not at all depressing or scary... 

When they say 
The immigration system
Is broken
It needs fixing 
I can tell you
First hand
It is a red hot 
Stinking mess 
Of hell

Like having the privilege 
Of being with my love
Took eleven months
A few thousand dollars 
Endless reams of paper 
That repeated the
Same information
Over and over and 
Over again 
Name. Age. D.O.B. His Name. Age. D.O.B. 
Parent’s names. Parent’s birthdays. Parent’s place of birth. 
Copies of birth certificates, police certificates, medical certificates. 
Every address I have lived at since I was sixteen 
(I am currently residing in my 24th abode in 30 years. I hate that question.) 

And once the system
Decided
In 2013
To make everything virtual 
We had to re-submit
Every single form
From scratch. 

At one point,
There were six different numbers 
Assigned to my case 
Now I am a code. 
I am never asked for my name
Only my number 
Because I am not 
Luisa Lyons, Australian/Spanish citizen 
I am a ten digit code with an 
Alphabetized prefix. 

And once I got to the USA
And arrived at the border
The immigration official
Had to go through every piece of paper
In my packet
Stamp it
And determine it was ok for me to go through

Once we were married
More paperwork
The same information
Over and over and 
Over again 
Name. Age. D.O.B. His Name. Age. D.O.B. 
Parent’s names. Parent’s birthdays. Parent’s place of birth. 
Copies of birth certificates, police certificates, medical certificates
Certified marriage certificate
Every address I have lived at since I was sixteen 
Everything must be submitted in hard copy, most forms are filled in by hand

This is to “Adjust Immigrant Status” 
And apply for “Employment Authorization” 
More exorbitant fees
That ensure
You will never be able to speak to a human
Months of waiting 
And zero communication
With the department

The system is broken 
Because between us
My husband and I 
Hold four university degrees
But my husband has to work his butt off 
To keep us afloat 
Because I’m not allowed to work
Either to contribute to the economy 
Or to our household 

I’m grateful I speak English
I’m proactive 
I volunteer at a local bookshop
Am volunteering with a local theatre company 
Writing my one-woman show 
But 
In a society whose primary currency is 
Cash 
I cannot thrive

I hate not being independent
I hate having to ask for financial help 
When we have worked so damn hard. 
I hate living in a system 
That is so crushed by bureaucracy 
And fear 
That it is not able to function 

The system is broken
And it’s breaking me down 
Every time I have to call the 
“Helpline” 
To ask 
Why haven’t we heard anything?

I’m tired of being a number 
And waiting

The end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment