Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Pull Your Hair Out



In response to my request to 
Veet 
Asking them to remove their ads
Purporting that hairiness will turn a woman into a man
My friend wrote about 
“The poor girl 
With the hair on her upper lip”
Poor 
As in tragic, bad, ugly
Because she was born into a society
That deems body hair
On women
Ugly, unwanted, uncool
Unfeminine 

I read a book as a child 
The story of a baby
From the baby’s perspective 
Where 
Daddy = hairy
Mummy = smooth 
And I thought 
Well, I’ll never be a mother 
At least not the quintessential one
Because I’m not smooth
I am hairy

And I grew up in a family
Where that was a bad thing
Hair = Ugly 
And must be shaved off 
Gotten rid of
My body was a place of shame and disgust
This notion reinforced by 
Magazines, films, music videos where
Women did not have hair
And those who did
Were Unattractive 
Or Hippies or Deviants and Therefore
Socially. Unacceptable. 

And for someone who is 
Naturally hairy
That is utterly, utterly crushing
It made me nervous to go swimming
Terrified to wear a bikini
“But you’re so skinny! Show off your body!”
I could never say why I was afraid
Being hairy was less than womanly, less than feminine 
Less than human 

We live in a world
Where there exists a 
Multi-billion dollar industry
For the removal of hair
Waxes, razors, lazers
Bleaches 
Lotions, creams, gels
Epilators, tweezers
And sprays 
To serve the purpose of 
“Looking Good”

There was a magazine
In the University Women’s Room 
(A safe space for women)
That someone had defaced
By drawing hair on the models
Adding in eyebrow hairs
Underarm hairs
And sprouting pubic hairs 
And I thought it was shocking
That someone would do that 
Hair was Ugly. Inappropriate. 
Distressing. 

Let me say this
Because no one ever said it to me
In varying degrees of
Darkness, thickness, and density 
Women. Have. Hair. 
On our heads 
On our legs, on our arms
On our hands
On our knuckles 
On our feet 
On our bellies 
On our lower backs
On our nipples
On our pubic bone
In our underarms
On our upper lips 
Sometimes even from the chin
And cheeks. 
Women. Have. Hair. 
It is not ugly.
It is convention, history, and the desire to control women’s bodies
And what happens in them and on them
That states that hair on women, in particular places, is ugly. 

Hairiness does not make you less attractive
Hairiness does not make you a failure at life
Hairiness does not denote how feminine or masculine you are
It exists.
And it is a Woman’s. Personal. Choice. 
Whether she wants to get rid of it or not. 
Stubble on her legs 
Does not make her manly. 
Hair on her upper lip
Does not make her ugly, unfeminine, or unworthy

If your judgements on a human being
Go no further than the presence of hair
I ask you to please
Re-assess. 
The world is full of far more important things
Worth pulling your hair out for 

The end. 

For an amazing story about dealing with hair, go here

No comments:

Post a Comment