Saturday, July 3, 2010

Positive Steps


I have lived/dealt with depression since I was in early high school. I remember sitting on the train on a bright blue-sky sunny day and thinking "everything in life is good right now, but I just feel miserable." The following ten years saw me yo-yo between between high and low moods, culminating in a feeling of total numbness by the time I was finishing uni. 


Thankfully I discovered mindfulness meditation, and through reading, counselling, better eating habits, and much journalling, I have come to better understand my depression and how to look after it, and more importantly, my self. I can now recognise the symptoms of when I'm starting to feel down, and I'm on an ever continuing journey of how best to look after me. I'm eating beautifully, I'm expressing myself creatively, and I'm meditating daily. 


I feel the one area letting me down is fitness. I'm distinctly lacking it! So I have finally signed myself up for something I have been promising myself I would do since I was twelve. I'm going to run the City the Surf! I have filled out the application form, paid my fees, and now I need to get running! For the goodness of my own health, for fitness, for the challenge, for proving to myself that I can do what I say I'm going to do, I'm going to run 14km from Sydney's CBD to the iconic Bondi Beach on Sunday 8 August. 


Part of the race is fundraising for a nominated charity. I have chosen Beyond Blue: The National Depression Initiative. It feels positive to be raising money for an organisation that promotes better understanding, prevention, and coping strategies for depression through an event that will also increase my own well-being. If you can, please help me reach my target of raising $1000 for Beyond Blue by visiting Everyday Hero. 


The paper work is done... now I need to get training!  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment